The Vegas Chamber engages at the state level, staking a full-time presence in Carson City during the biannual legislative sessions. During the 2017 Legislature, the Vegas Chamber monitored more than 500 bills and testified on behalf of the business community on more than 100, fighting against legislation that impedes growth and job creation, and fighting for opportunities for our region to advance.
Click Here To View Our 2019 Legislative Session Report!
State Legislative Principles:
- Less Regulatory Burden – Ensuring that job creators are not punished. As our economy recovers and businesses begin to grow, any regulation must make common sense and be effective, efficient, and enforceable. We will contest any unnecessary or burdensome regulation that would be a barrier to growth, profitability, and jobs or have a disproportionate impact on business. Where regulation is appropriate, we press for fair and balanced guidelines so the business community in general or specific industries are not unfairly or disproportionately targeted and can fairly compete.
- More Efficiency in Government – Ensuring that businesses are better off next year than last. Employers must have every opportunity to grow and succeed. We must have transparent, efficient, predictable, and effective processes for licensing, inspections, and any other government requirement that would affect a business’ operations. We are vigilant in protecting against inefficient government spending and advancing greater government accountability – at the local, state, or educational institution level.
- Building Our Future Workforce – Ensuring current and future employer needs are met and attracting more advanced industries to our communities by better preparing our students for the jobs of the future. The Vegas Chamber pushes for a myriad of education reforms, including modernizing our higher education system so that universities and community colleges can align their programs more closely with the needs of employers. As businesses are the largest customer of our public school system, your voice needs to be heard on where your current and future needs are. The Vegas Chamber acts as a convener and a microphone for the voice of our region’s employers.
- Keeping it Local, Keeping it in Nevada – Ensuring that local money stays local. Our employers need to be rewarded for their efforts and it is time to level the playing fields. Our local businesses are paying fees and taxes – making investments in facilities, infrastructure, and systems that power our community and lay the foundation for more local jobs. We must make sure the government procurement process is designed to recognize the investment and contributions that our Nevada businesses are making.
State Policy Areas of Focus:
- State business climate
- Higher education
- K-12 education
- Infrastructure investment
2017 End of Session Report
The Vegas Chamber has released its comprehensive end-of-session report for the 2017 Legislature. This summary book details each bill on which the Vegas Chamber engaged, why the Vegas Chamber took the position it did, and how the bill fared by the end of the session. Click here to download the book.